Chapter House, Lichfield



Chapter House is a development of 38 new later living apartments, situated on the site of the historical Lichfield Friary, on the edge of the mediaeval city. The architecture and landscape design are closely integrated in an arrangement of quads and courtyards, with carefully articulated enclosure and connections. We have taken inspiration from the 1781 map of the city by Snape. This beautiful document indicates that the multitude of gardens in the city were enclosed, productive spaces, but also laid out to be aesthetically pleasing. The site includes Monks Walk, a historical Garden that has been restored by Monks Walk Restoration Group. The new building is surrounded by a series of new gardens with flower filled mixed borders, climbing plants, fruits trees and fragrant herbs. The communal gardens are a place for residents to socialise, enjoy creative pursuits and of course, to tend the plants.

Client

PegasusLife

Date

2014 - 2017

Team

Proctor & Matthews Architects / PBA, engineer / Max Fordham, MEP / Barton Willmore, planner